Midwest Earth, January 16, 2020 -- For centuries (or maybe just years), EarthQuaker Devices' Afterneath creation has been the innovative go-to reverberation contraption for artists looking to create lush and novel enchanting sounds befitting an axe-wielding wizard of the highest order. The alchemists toiling away in EarthQuaker Devices' Akron, Ohio stronghold, have conjured, and are set to unleash, the Afterneath Eurorack Module and their creation can pre-ordered on January 16, 2020, or officially wielded via purchase on March 4, 2020.
The Afterneath Eurorack Module brings the otherworldly sounds from the effects pedal world to modular synthesizers with an expanded feature set. The Afterneath Module features one main audio input, one main audio output, an audio send and return for the "Reflect" feedback path, and nine controls. Four of the parameters are controllable via CV, and each has been equipped with a dedicated inverting attenuator. The Afterneath module has a completely analog dry signal path and a totally digital wet signal path.
The Afterneath Module further expands on the wildly popular Afterneath pedal with the addition of voltage control over the "Diffuse," "Length" and "Drag" controls. It also offers an entirely new voltage-controlled “Mode” parameter that changes how the "Drag" responds to knob and CV changes.
When adjusting "Drag" via the knob or CV, a change in character, fidelity and decay length of the effect is realized. There is also a noticeable change in pitch for the sound that is in the Afterneath’s buffer. As with the Afterneath pedal, high settings of the "Reflect" and "Length" controls result in self-oscillation, where the pitch of the oscillation is set by the "Drag" control.
- Unquantized – Smooth, unquantized response over the entire operating range of the "Drag" parameter
- Unquantized with Slew - Smooth, unquantized response over the entire operating range, but with a musical slew that is reminiscent of turning the varispeed knob on a vintage British tape delay. The “Drag” will lag behind the knob or CV changes, but then quickly catch up
- Unquantized Volt/Octave – Smooth and unquantized, yet scaled to align with the 1V/octave curve to allow melodic modulation of audio in the buffer, or control the frequency of self-oscillation like a voltage-controlled oscillator
- Chromatic Scale – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Chromatic scale
- Major Scale – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Major scale
- Minor Scale – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Minor scale
- Pentatonic Scale - Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to intervals within the Pentatonic scale
- Octaves and Fifths - Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to octaves and fifths of the original pitch
- Octaves – Quantized to 1V/octave, so that it jumps to octaves of the original pitch
Beyond modulated delay and reverb effects, modes 3 through 9 extend the possibility of using the Afterneath Module as an interesting voltage-controlled oscillator. Another new feature found only in the Afterneath Module is a "Dry Kill" switch that allows access to a 100 percent wet signal, which is perfect for using the module as an effect send from a mixer or digital audio workstation.
Finally, a "Reflect Send" and "Reflect Return" jack not only allows external processing of the Afterneath’s "Reflect" feedback path, but also gives the user access to a phenomenal pseudo-stereo effect. In addition to patching from the main output, the user can also patch from the "Reflect Send" jack. This provides a wide, immersive, ambient stereo image; a great trick for when using the module as an effects send for your modular, mixer or DAW. Additionally, the "Reflect Return" jack can be used as an additional audio input. The "Reflect" knob will act as an attenuator for any signal that is patched into the "Reflect" jack.
- Same otherworldly reverb algorithm built from an adjustable cluster of short delays in a 16HP Eurorack format
- Ranges from scattered individual delays to an immersive wash of atmospheric reverb
- New voltage control over the "Drag" parameter with 9 unique modes of user-selectable sweep: Unquantized, Unquantized with Slew, Unquantized Volt/Octave, Chromatic, Major, Minor, Pentatonic, Octaves and Fifths, Octaves
- Features audio send and return for the "Reflect" feedback path
- "Drag," "Mode," "Diffuse," and "Length" parameters are controllable via CV, each with dedicated inverting attenuators
- Features "Dry Kill" switch to eliminate the dry signal from the output, leaving only the wet signal
- Capable of pseudo-stereo operation by using the "Reflect Send" as an additional output
- All analog dry signal path and a totally digital effect signal path
- Lifetime guarantee
- Current Draw: 95 mA from the +12v rail, 0 mA from both the -12v and +5v rails
- Width: 16HP
- Max Depth: 31.75 mm
- Retail Price: $249.00
- Boxed dimensions: 5.5” x 4.25” x 3.25”
- Out-of-box dimensions: 5” x 3.25” x 1.75”
- Weight: .75 lbs
The features of the Afterneath Eurorack Module transform the original Afterneath concoction into an ambient powerhouse and an instrument unto itself, pushing the already UNFUCKWITHABLE Afterneath into new, uncharted realms.
Top-six in the U.S. and one of the top-10 in the world, create products that are available in over 865 retail locations in approximately 50 countries. Its key retailers include Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Sweetwater and Thomann. EarthQuaker Devices has sold over 250,000 units.
The company's current workforce reaches over 50 individuals, and has been praised for its commitment to inclusion, diversity and cooperation with other pedal manufacturers by Best Guitar Effects.